Audit, Tax & Consulting for Community Health Centers
Health centers have become essential in coordinating primary care and preventive services for millions of Americans, including some of the nation’s most vulnerable, underserved populations. As a proven resource for cost-effective care, health centers play a significant role in implementation of the Affordable Care Act (ACA). CHCs are adopting electronic health records, expanding service hours, hiring more medical providers, and adding oral health, behavioral health, pharmacy, and vision services. Our CHC clients have a knowledgeable and trusted advisor in AAFCPAs to help navigate the implications of this changing environment.
Since 1965, community health centers have delivered comprehensive, high‐quality preventive and primary health care to patients regardless of their ability to pay. AAFCPAs has provided exceptional-value solutions to Community Health Centers since our founding in 1973. Our depth of experience in the Healthcare and CHC industries is unmatched by our peers and allows us to offer proven and valuable solutions to help you meet your business goals, including: adapting to the changing regulatory environment, and capitalizing on emerging opportunities to reduce costs, streamline efficiency, and achieve more coordinated and integrated forms of healthcare delivery.
In addition to best value assurance, and tax expertise, AAFCPAs provides advisory solutions for CHCs, including:
- Review of current medical, behavioral health, and dental fee structures to determine adequacy of rates charged and make recommendations to management as to setting rates
- Assist in calculating new medical rates based on the HRSA PIN (Policy Information Notice 2014 -02 titled “Sliding Fee Discount and Related Billing and Collection Program Requirements”). The PIN clarifies many aspects of the sliding fee discount program, including: development of the health center’s fee schedule and sliding fee discount schedule; use of multiple sliding fee discount schedules; discharge of patients due to refusal to pay; role of the governing board in establishing and approving the sliding fee discount program and others.
- Assistance on the transition to Accountable Care Organizations (ACO) and Alternative Payment Methodologies
- Recommendations to management as to the establishment of the New Medicare Reimbursement Rate known as G-codes to encompass all services furnished to a Medicare patient during a visit.
- Revenue Cycle Operations Review – Review of health centers third party billing and reimbursement procedures and internal control systems (such as insurance verification process, authorization & re-authorization process, timing of billing and collection follow-up) and make recommendations that will maximize reimbursement and reduce write offs & denials.
- Review behavioral health services currently provided by health centers and make recommendations as to integration with medical services in light of new reimbursement methodologies (value based reimbursement) being established as a result of health care reform.
- Reporting systems to monitor risk-based plans to ensure all related amounts are tracked and reported properly in the financials
- Cost report preparation and training
- Strategic growth plans and evaluation of new care models and ventures
- 340B Pharmacy Program audits
- Comprehensive financial training for boards of directors, management and personnel
- Managed Accounting Solutions: Right-size, outsourced accounting solutions, from cloud-based bookkeeping to high level CFO oversight oversight
- Business Performance, Internal Controls & IT Advisory
- Institutional investment advice, money management, financial planning & consulting, executive deferred compensation & retirement plan consulting, and succession planning solutions
- Fiduciary guidance and investment advisory solutions for employee benefit plan sponsors
- Technical Accounting Advisory: Implementation of new accounting standards, assistance with complex operational and financial transactions, audit preparation
What our clients say
“I have worked with AAFCPAs for over 7 years as the Sr. VP of Finance and Administration of Dimock Community Health Center. What I like about AAF as a firm is they conduct a thorough audit and really review the accounting detail to ensure that our financials are presented accurately. They also compare our organization against similar organizations highlighting potential areas for review and improvement. On an ongoing basis, their audit team is quick to respond to issues that occur throughout the year. I always feel like I have access to the Partner on our job for advice at any time. It is this type of commitment to service and detail that keeps Dimock as a client year after year.”
Dimock Community Health Center | Peter Gerondeau, Executive Vice President & Chief Financial Officer