Assurance, Tax and Consulting for Nonprofits
Skillful financial management is essential to any viable organization. The financial reporting needs of nonprofits is proving to be increasingly complicated due to diversity among program offerings, highly-regulated funding sources, and in some cases, multiple real estate holdings.
AAF provides assurance, attest, tax, and advisory solutions to 350+ local, national, and international nonprofit clients. Our depth of industry expertise coupled with our extensive exposure to the best practices in the sector makes us uniquely qualified to advise you on running a highly efficient and effective organization.
Not for Profit Expertise
Compliance Audits – We have comprehensive experience with audits in accordance with Uniform Guidance / Single Audit, Financial Accounting Standard Board Requirements, and Uniform Financial Reports.
Funding Sources – We have extensive experience working with nonprofits and their funding sources including federal and state agencies, private foundations and grant-making public charities, as well as public donations. We help clients throughout the year with questions regarding compliance, restrictions, releases, capital campaigns and fundraising effectiveness ratios.
Tax Credits – We have been instrumental in helping clients fund new capital initiatives with various tax credit programs. Our comprehensive knowledge of all new, existing, and changing applicable tax credits in the nonprofit industry makes us uniquely qualified to provide valuable solutions. These include new markets tax credits, federal and state historic tax credits, tax credit exchange, tax credit assistance programs, and credits for use of alternative energy sources. We provide advisory services to limited partnerships/limited liability companies from cost certifications at the project’s inception, to exiting at the end of tax credit compliance periods.
Endowments – We help with complex endowments by assisting in developing and evaluating investment and spending policies, designing reporting structures, and evaluating and improving internal controls over investment activities in line with the Uniform Prudent Management of Institutional Funds Act (UPMIFA).
Cost Allocation – AAF has extensive expertise advising clients in implementing sound cost allocation methodologies so your financials and Federal Form 990 clearly demonstrate resources are used to further your mission. We assist nonprofits in allocating costs to various programs, grants, contracts and agreements using an objective and consistent method.
Internal Controls – AAF has extensive expertise advising clients on operational and financial internal control objectives. We routinely recommend best practices which improve management’s ability to measure performance, evaluate processes, and mitigate risks.
Industry Changes – AAFCPAs proactively keeps you well-informed of changes in standards, tax laws, and best business practices through our education seminars, news blasts and regular written and oral communications throughout the year.
- Financial statement audits
- A-133 (Federal) and Government (State) Reports
- Uniform Financial Reports (UFR)
- Employee benefit plan audits
- Internal audits to improve governance, risk management and management controls
Tax Compliance & Consulting
- Guidance on understanding and preparing the Federal Form 990, and how it represents your organization to donors and the public
- Unrelated business income tax (UBIT) compliance, and comprehensive cost allocation plans that minimize the tax burden
- Charitable trust returns
- Compensation disclosures
- Foreign investment reporting
- Multi-state filing / registration requirements
Profit Enhancement Solutions
- Technology risk assessments
- Streamlined processes to facilitate all regulatory reporting
- Analysis of financing options
- Review of regulatory changes to determine potential impact
- Examination of financial and personnel resource allocations
- Financial training for boards of directors, management and personnel
- Presentation of financial statements at board meetings
- Fundraising compliance for charitable organizations
- Review of internal controls and financial management best practices
- Long-term strategic planning insight and advice to improve business operations
- Calculation of financial ratios and benchmarking to industry peer organizations
- Review, compilation and preparation of financial statements
- Executive compensation strategies
AAFCPAs has been helping nonprofits succeed since our founding in 1973. We fully understand the funding sources, grant requirements, and regulations that apply to not for profit entities. We help streamline financial operations so that our clients maximize their precious resources.