AAFCPAs would like to make clients aware of a recent alert issued by the US Department of Homeland Security warning citizens about the possible emergence of malicious cyber activity by those seeking to capitalize on interest from Hurricane Harvey.
AAFCPAs reminds readers to follow some basic guidelines:
- Keep your antivirus, malware and other computer software up-to-date.
- Use caution opening emails, and pay close attention to the sender’s name and address.
- If you decide to make a donation, go directly to the organization’s website. Do not use a web link provided in an email message.
- Train your employees on phishing and how to detect phishing emails. Training and awareness is one of the most important safeguards in mitigating threats from phishing scams and malware campaigns.
- If something doesn’t look right, it probably is not. Proceed with caution.
The devastating events in the Gulf once again bring to light that we must constantly remain vigilant and cautious of charity & identity scams, and other cyber risks.
Our sincere thoughts and prayers are with those impacted by Hurricane Harvey.